Thursday, July 17, 2014

It's finally summer in Seattle 2014

Last weekend I took full advantage of the long, sunny, Seattle days. Also, it has been really hot in my tiny, second story, brick apartment so I've been looking for every excuse to spend evenings out and about. Friday night I went to a Mariner's game with some coworkers, significant others and some a bunch of friends. We ended up running into a few more friends at the game and by the end of the night there was quite a big group of us hanging out in the beer garden. (side note: I took a lot of pictures but they're on a not-yet-developed disposable camera, so here are some photos I've stolen from other people who used their phones like normal people living in 2014).

^^Me, Brittan, Danielle & Natalie (Mexican Food Club does a Mariner's game^^
 
The Mariner's won at the last minute against the Oakland A's and it was a really fun game. Afterward a few of us attempted to go out in Ballard, but we were all tired and my flip flop blew out (even though I was walking normally) as I was going into the bar, so we didn't end up staying long.
 
Saturday was Seafood Fest in Ballard. Dustin, Katie, Josh and I ran into my coworker Dave and his girlfriend immediately upon arrival. It was Dave's birthday and we ended up hanging out with them and meeting up with Art and Amy for beers in the beer garden. Eventually we got hungry and wandered into the Ballard Annex Oyster House for some happy hour and a place to sit.
 
^^Selfie during HH^^
 
 ^^Katie and I at HH^^
 
After happy hour we met up with Justin, Brittan, Natalie and Boyd for some more beers, seafood and fun.
 
Eventually Art, Amy, Dustin and I got tired and decided that we wanted to head back to Dustin's for some Rock Band and a sleepover. Adult sleepovers with your friends who are kind of like your family are totally normal, right? :)
 
Sunday I ate Mexican food with Justin and Brittan, attempted a beach day (but it was overcast and Natalie was over the elements), and ended up on a patio drinking a glass of chilled Rose with Brittan and Natalie.
 
It was a very successful weekend before a very stressful week. After receiving an e-mail from Satya Nadella (Microsoft's CEO) talking about significant changes that would be made to the company in the coming weeks, then hearing numerous news reports that Microsoft was expecting to lay off as many as 6,000 people this week, reading last night that they layoffs would happen today, freaking out last night, not really sleeping all night, then waking up this morning to e-mails from Satya and Brad Smith (the head of legal at Microsoft) saying that not 6,000 but 18,000 people would be laid off today and in the coming months. Brad's e-mail said that 10%(!!!!) of the legal department was being laid off today. I cried when I read that, first thing this morning. I cried a few times today. It was nice to know that I would know today whether or not I would be laid off, but also very stressful going to work this morning. Part of me was like, "they're not going to lay me off, they JUST hired me!" and the other part of me was like "well, they went that long without me, maybe they don't really need me after all, and I know they're expected to make cuts, and like, I get it." I, luckily, still have a job. One of my favorite coworkers, however, was laid off. My heart hurts for her. It was a really emotional day for my whole group (and probably for everyone at Microsoft). Now I'm attempting to de-stress with a glass of Rose and some blogging :)
 
This weekend I will attempt to de-stress even more (with two other Microsoft employees who are also "safe") with some camping, round 2, in the Hood Canal! Yay! 

3 comments:

Legally Lovely said...

THANK YOU FOR BLOGGING FOR ME.

First thing first: I'm so happy to hear that you're safe at Microsoft. I immediately thought of you and wanted to ask, but figured I would wait until you kind of brought it up. SO HAPPY that you get to keep your position there. :)

Second, your group of friends sound so fun! You are always out bopping around. SEAFOOD FEST!?!? That sounds so awesome. Stuff like that doesn't happen in landlocked states, which is so sad - I LUV ALL THE SEAFOOD. Although, we have Blues Fest in August and an AppleFest in late September. YUM.

Glad life is going well and you have fun things planned and such. The Pacific Northwest is the place to be! Jealoussss.

Andrew-L'autre said...

Yay! It's summer for you. :)

I also heard about the layoffs but also didn't want to bug you in case you had fallen victim to them. I wasn't sure about how stressed you were and didn't want to add to it!

Jessica Marie said...

Awesome pictures! Looks like so much fun. Don't feel bad - I still love film cameras! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...