Monday, March 31, 2014

Urban Gardening


Growing up, every year my parents planted an extremely large garden. They still do. There are rows and rows of tomatoes and peas and carrots and onions and corn and it seemed like the rows were never ending when I had to weed them in the summers when I still lived at home. Aren't summers supposed to be for swimming pools and camp outs in the yard and riding bikes and other fun kid things? Definitely not for weeding gardens. Weeding the garden is EW, and it was always one of my least favorite chores. My friend Beth is currently staying with my parents and she said my mom was recently talking about how much I hated the garden when I was younger, and then when I got a little older I wrote something for school that said that maybe, one day, I'd like to have a garden of my own. My mom told Beth felt like she won. Well, mom, I guess you did. Enter the urban garden! All the fresh produce goodness, without the wedding. So really, I win too!

This weekend Dustin and I went to Home Depot and picked up some baby garden plants along with some potting soil and a few pots (we already had a few empties between us). On Sunday afternoon we set to work planting our little urban garden. Most of it will stay at Dustin's because he has a big patio area, but I took one small planter with herbs in it to keep by my front door. Fingers crossed we don't kill everything. I love the idea of having fresh produce to eat this summer.

The rest of the weekend I spent doing healthy things like going to the gym and to yoga, cooking healthy meals instead of eating out, reading (and loving) the Goldfinch, not checking instagram a million times (not at all since Thursday, guys!), and drinking water instead of a beer (which was especially tempting in the Sunday afternoon sun). It felt good. And I'm having a pretty happy Monday too, so maybe the goodness of the weekend is wearing off into my week.

Happy Monday, everyone!

4 comments:

Musings of a Creative Writer said...

I know the feeling all to well! My mom and dad have 5 gardens, but I know when I move I'm going to be starting an urban garden. I love growing vegetables. :)

SummerBreeze said...

I plant a little herb garden and several vegetable plants every year too! And my parents always had a garden when I was growing up! My vegetables are almost always eaten by the squirrels, but I'm going to try some netting this year to keep those little rascals at bay.

I've also been thinking about reading The Goldfinch. Glad you're giving it a good review!

Andrew-L'autre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew-L'autre said...

Years ago my mother used to grow herbs on the window ledge but our cats would eat them.

Good luck with your own garden! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...