Friday, June 10, 2016

Baker City visit

Over Memorial Day weekend I headed east for the weekend to see my Bethfriend in Baker City, Oregon. The drive should have only taken about 5.5hours but took more like 6.5hours when everything was said and done because of a car accident on i90 going over the pass. Bummer!

^^The view right out of Baker City from i84. Beth told me they call those mountains the little Alps^^

Beth's parents were also in Baker for the weekend, so when I got to town her mom handed me a tequila shot and then we all loaded up and headed to Beth's aunt's camp site for a family BBQ. After the BBQ, Beth and I changed, put on lipstick and headed out to Barley Brown's Brewery (where Beth works) to watch some live music and drink some beer. We met Beth's friend Carly there, shouted at each other over the music, and eventually we headed to the VFW for some video poker, karaoke, $2 beers and a koozy for me to remember the trip by! When it was time to go home Beth called us a cab and we had to stand outside for approximately 5-10 minutes and HOLY COW Baker city gets hot in the day and then cold as fuck at night. It was like it was the dead of winter in June. How is that even possible?! I was dying. Beth thought I was a baby. Whatever, Beth!

^^Beth's dad took this very red-eyed picture of us before we headed out to Barley's^^

 ^^Music up on a stage at Barley's, genius!^^

 ^^Beth, me and Carly with our $2 beers and our VFW koozies^^

^^Carly killing at it karaoke on the most beautiful karaoke stage everrr^^

Sunday morning we all woke up early and then Beth, her parents, her brother Neil and I headed out to breakfast at the Lone Pine CafĂ©. We sat outside and ordered Mimosas which were fresh squeezed and it was all really great. But then, mid way through my delicious meal (I had a fancy BLT that was really good and really overstuffed) I decided to pull out some pickled onion and tomato make my sandwich more manageable and when I pulled out the tomato a LIVE SPIDER CAME OUT WITH IT. It was covered in sauce and it was the weirdest thing ever. We all just stared at each other and then Beth picked it up and threw it off the table and I didn't know what to do because A LIVE SPIDER WAS IN MY SANDWICH. WAS IT THE ONLY ONE? DID I EAT ITS FAMILY? AM I GROWING SPIDERS INSIDE MY STOMACH AS WE SPEAK?! Of course that happened to me.

After breakfast we headed to Beth's grandpa's house (where she lived when she first moved there) so we could meet. I am obsessed with that man. He is the sweetest ever and he of course invited me back to Baker City to stay with him whenever I want because we're now besties.

When our breakfast settled Beth and I met back up with Carly for a hike up Indian Rock Trail with Carly's Frenchie, Herbert, and Beth's Boston Terrier, Baxter. The dogs were not the hugest fans of the hike, but did pretty well overall. And at the end of the hike there was an awesome view which we thoroughly enjoyed (in large part thanks to Carly's forethought in bringing a delicious IPA for us to share) until Beth found a tick on her and then we basically ran back down the hill.

^^Hiking up, up, up through the awesome wildflowers^^

^^Babes + Dogs^^ 

 ^^view from the top^^

 ^^Beth enjoying the view just minutes before she would find a tick on her, EW^^
Beth drove us to the trail head and after a quick stop at the lake we were driving home, Herbert in my lap in the front seat, AC blasting on him trying to get him to cool off when I felt something behind my ear. I instinctively brushed it and immediately knew what was happening. I brushed again harder and a tick fell into my chest. I freaked out, told Beth to stop immediately, jumped out of the car, Carly jumped out with me, I freak out more, the tick was on the inside of my shirt, I pulled my shirt down, Carly tried to brush the tick off, it didn't work, and eventually, after she's seen basically all of my boobs Carly picks the tick up off of me and throws it on the ground. We breathed a collective sigh of relief. I owe her my life forever for saving me from the tick and potential lime disease and just general EW-ness. Thank you Carly!!

After the hike we went home to do full body tick checks and then headed back to Barley Brown's for more, very necessary beers.

That evening Beth and I had a delicious dinner at the old timey Haines Steak House with her parents before calling it an early night.

It took me a million hours to get home the next day despite being on the road at 8:30am thanks to another crash on i90 over the pass. I'm never again heading east on i90 on a 3 day weekend, but the trip was great overall and it was so fun to see where my Bethfriend has been living and to drink some delicious Barley Brown's beer!! 



1 comment:

LeeLee said...

What an amazing view from the top.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...