Friday, September 9, 2016

NYC pt 1

A few weeks ago I went to New York City for the first time ever and it was the most fun thing. If you haven't been, you have to go! It seems like I've been back for a million years and I can't believe I'm just now writing about my magical trip, but here we go. This is part one (the part where I was there alone) and there will probably be like 10 more parts because I did SO MANY THINGS in my short amount of time there, and also I never want to forget any of it.

I flew non-stop from Seattle to Newark on a Thursday morning and arrived in NYC around 4pm. I took the New Jersey Transit (on a tip from Alli, thanks Alli) to Penn Station in NYC and walked (through a crazy loud/bright thunder and lightening storm) the few blocks from Penn Station to The Ace Hotel where we were staying. I checked in and then immediately grabbed a mini bottle of pink champagne from the mini-bar to celebrate my arrival!

 ^^Classy, fresh off the plane, drinking room service champs selfie, because NYC!^^

 ^^Cute AF room at the Ace Hotel^^

^^The view from our room wasn't particularly exciting but it definitely wasn't NOT exciting to this small town girl. I spent a lot of time looking out this window because the AC was right next to the window and it was hot as balls there, but I'll complain a lot about that later^^

Moments after I booked my flight to NYC I also booked a haircut with Raegan who I've been internet friends with for a million years but had never met in real life. It was my first internet friend meeting (you're next, Emma) and it was so, so magical. Also, Raegan is like, really good at doing hair. My hair has never looked so good. For real. I can't say enough good things about her. But! Back to the story, after my minibar champagne, a quick shower and change (because it was SO hot and humid out and I was disgusting after flying and then commuting into the city), I headed downstairs to the Ace Hotel Lobby Bar to kill a few minutes before I had to head to the West Village. I grabbed a drink and took some solo-photo-booth-pics, as one does when you're at an Ace and when you're in NYC (duh!)!

^^Omg I'm in NYC! And I'm a huge dork!^^

The bellhop at the hotel gave me directions on how to take the subway to the West Village and then walk the rest of the way to my hair appointment. So I took the subway for the first time and the platform was like a fucking sauna but the train was so ACd out ANDDD there were SO MANY HANDSOME MEN on the subway. I couldn't deal, or stop staring. You can't take me anywhere! Yikes haha.

Raegan works at Whittemore House Salon which is the cutest, and also everyone who works there is so, super nice. I profusely apologized to the cute girl who had to wash my dirty, sweaty hair and then she ended up giving me a ton of great recommendations for places to eat in the city, so I think she wasn't too disgusted by me. Ha! Also the men who checked me in and took our photo were so sweet. I want to be friends with all of them, like a creep!

But seriously, Reagan did the most amazing job with my hair. Did I mention it's never looked so good? I'm not joking, at all. And then my blowout was basically ruined within hours because of the intense humidity but there are pictures to prove that once upon a time I had magical princess hair so I'll cling to those forever!

^^Reagan and I! Also, please note her beautiful nails!!^^ 

 ^^Zero selfie shame, because c'mon!^^

^^Okay last one!^^

After my haircut I walked a few blocks to Fish (thanks for the recommendation, Matt!) to meet my friend Mark who was in town from Hood River. He does a house swap with a family who lives in Chelsea every year and was in NYC for two weeks, which was excellent news for me!! We got the Red, White + Blue at Fish which is 6 raw oysters and either a PBR (for me) or a white wine (for Mark) for $9.99! We also split an order of fries while we soaked up their ice cold air conditioning!

^^Mark and I^^

After dinner Mark and I walked around the Meatpacking District and eventually settled on a bar with a patio (despite the fact that it was still a million degrees at 10:30pm) for a martini. While we were sitting out there we saw a mouse running around on the patio! WHAT!? When we finished our drink we went for one more at this fancy resataurant/bar and when we walked outside to catch an uber home afterward, it was POURING down rain. Mark stole us two umbrellas that were left in the umbrella basket by the door, rationalizing it because we were the last two people to leave the bar (also apparently this is a v normal thing to do in NYC) and we split an uber back to our respective spots. When I got back to the hotel I was STARVING because I hadn't eaten anything in hours except 6 oysters and some fries, so I went down to the lobby bar where there was a DJ spinning music and tried to order a grilled cheese sandwich. While I was sitting at the bar, drunkenly minding my own business while waiting for my sandwich, this man next to me, who is way drunker than me, starts telling me (unprompted) that I look good, and I'm bringing it, but only 50% at best. WHAT? I ignore him and start texting about him and he turns to his friend and says "she should be trying harder, I wouldn't bang her" AND HIS FRIEND IS AGREEING! LOL. I was literally laughing out loud. It was the weirdest, rudest thing ever. Little did they know, my hair has literally never looked that good and I was looking better than usual that night? Lolollll. They would hate to see me on a normal day ;)

The next day I woke up, grabbed an iced Americano from the Stumptown Coffee located inside the hotel (insert praise hand emoji here) and took myself to The Butcher's Daughter for breakfast. I got an order of their avocado toast (which was huge), a fresh juice called The Hangover Killer (coconut, yuzu, pineapple, chili and cilantro) and a mimosa with some bee polen and other fancy, delicious things in it #vacation #breakfastdrank.

^^The Butcher's Daughter, isn't it cute?^^

^^Yeah I took a pic of my avocado toast, so sue me!^^

After breakfast I walked through Chinatown and Little Italy and tried not to melt, which was hard, I melted a little. I eventually made my way to the Subway and made a quick stop in the West Village for Big Gay Ice Cream to cool me down on my way back to the hotel. I got a salty pimp which was a sugar cone filled with vanilla soft serve and spotted with a bunch of dulce de leche, and also sea salt. It was then dipped in a hard chocolate shell. Holy yum sauce!

 ^^Little Italy and the Empire State Building^^

^^My Salty Pimp at Big Gay Ice Cream^^

I took my ice cream to go and headed back to the hotel because Faith was getting off work (at Calvin Klein because she is fancy as fuck)!! and was going to meet me, and Gaby had finally landed and was on her way to the hotel too! Shit was about to get crazy... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your outfit is such a New York City outfit. Look at you, killing it! I love that you got there a little earlier than your friends to have some solo adventures. Now I want to have a weekend in NYC with you too! Maybe that can be our internet friend meeting!?!? Seriously, I need to see you IRL.

Your photo strip is so good! That lower picture is adorable. Your hair did look so good - too bad the weather didn't cooperate. Also too bad that you met some serious idiots at the bar who clearly didn't know what they were talking about. Do they KNOW what a catch you are?! #boybye I see your avocado toast and your walk through Little Italy, but again I've got to ask -- where is the pizza!? There's the most delicious pizza places in Little Italy; did you seriously just walk right by?! God.

Andrew-L'autre said...

Big Gay Ice Cream? Must be a reference to Big Gay Al from "South Park". :P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...