Last night, as I was leaving work after an awesome event we hosted, I picked up my phone to find that I had been bombarded by phone calls and text messages from my friends and family. A forest fire was headed right toward my parents’ house.
picture text from my mom last night, taken from the front yard of their house
My parents live outside of White Salmon (which is a small town on the Washington side of the Columbia River) on some acreage which is key to their livelihood (especially my dad’s). Losing the houses (both the house they live in now and the house my dad and my brother and I grew up in), the barns, and all the forest land would be completely devastating in so many ways.
I have obviously been a wreck since I heard and I’m sure I look less than professional today at work.
The latest news though (via text from my mom), is that the wind died down and then recently picked back up, but is now blowing away from our house instead of straight toward it. It’s good for us, not so good for others. I’m really hoping they get it put out soon. So many of our wonderful friends are fighting it right now. So many of our other friends’ homes are also in danger.
Whenever something like this happens it really makes everyone appreciate the things we might normally take for granted: our homes, family, friends (who have been so amazing, especially Beth and Marissa who offered to help in any way they could, like by taking care of my Fluffy Face Cat so he wouldn’t burn up).
It also makes you feel lots of anger and resentment toward the idiots of the world. Yes, I’m looking at you, person who started these devastating forest fires (all 5 of them) with your sparking car breaks.
So I guess the moral of the story is go hug all of the people you love and send all of your good energy toward White Salmon.
5 comments:
I can understand how you and your family feel: back in 2002 my family and I were affected by a forest fire and we had to evacuate our home.
Fortunately, we lived with friends for about a week, and the fire was contained in that time, but it was still a scary experience. I wish you, your family, and your friends the best.
This gives me chills. Praying and sending good thoughts. And still on standby to foster the Fluffy Cow Cat :)
Love you dearly friend, so sorry this is happening.
Ohmygoodnesss. Rebeka, I'm praying for you, your family, and your community. Sending positivity you way. oxo
I hate this for you and your family. I have kept you all in my thoughts and will continue to do so! Keep me updated!
I am so sorry to hear about the fire. Praying they'll get it put out soon before it causes anymore damage.
There was a huge fire in Texas last year that burnt a good portion of where I grew up. It's such a terribly helpless feeling watching your homeland burn and not being able to stop it.
Sending "stop the fire thoughts" all day to you and your family!
Post a Comment