Thursday, October 2, 2014

Las Vegas through the years

It’s Thursday afternoon, I’ve hit a wall, I’m drinking some coffee but I thought maybe a quick work break for a blog post would be a good productivity booster. Also, I have a headache and I can’t figure out why and I need to do something that’s easy on the brain for a bit.

I’m going to Las Vegas the day after tomorrow and I’m really excited about it. The closer it gets the more excited I get. I’m sharing a room with Brother Jim and his BFF Jered and my BFF Beth and that’s probably going to be interesting but I’m sure if we can work out an acceptable bathroom schedule and no one pukes (I’m looking at you, Jered), we’ll be fine. It’s supposed to be in the low 90s there so I booked a gratto at the pool for our clan on Sunday. Pool Party!!!

Vegas is one of those places I feel like people either love or hate. I guess that would mean I’m on the love side of things? I usually don’t get super crazy in Vegas, but it’s always a really easy trip from Seattle or Portland. It’s a quick flight, it’s usually nice there and there are a million things to see/do/eat/drink. Plus, what’s more fun than walking down the street wearing whatever you want with a drink in your hand?! I’ve been 4 times, this will be my 5th. Yikes, that’s a lot. Anyway, in honor of #TBT or #throwbackthursday if you’d prefer it, let me recap my trips for you thus far.

The first time I went to Las Vegas I was 22, I think. It was for my ex-boyfriend’s 21st birthday. Call me a cradle robber all you want – I quickly learned dating younger men isn’t for me. We hung out with his cousin who  lives in Las Vegas, thoroughly enjoyed those novelty size margaritas and I loved life while running around to all the bars by myself, skipping lines (while the boys waited in them) and walking right in because I was 22, a girl in a dress and alone(ish):

las vegas tbt 2 
The second time I went was 1L year of Law School. Sister Erin and I went for SPRING BREAK, WHOO! We spent like $200 total on our flight + room at the super classy and totally convenient Stratosphere (ha!). We also ate McD’s chicken nuggs for like every meal because they were cheap and came in boxes of 50 and we were really poor law students. We definitely only went “out” one night when we were there (not before we made a cab take us to the Olive Garden for dinner because, it was definitely the classiest Vegas trip on the books) ended up spending $13 per well drink, and watching my friend from HS who met us there fall over backward on the dance floor, OOPS!:

las vegas tbt
My third trip to Las Vegas was with Dustin for a wedding at Excalibur we didn’t actually end up going to, because, DRAMA! Instead we went to see the Elvis Cirque de Soleil, ate PF Chaing’s for dinner (Dustin snuck in a water bottle full of vodka, because Vegas), had someone successfully unlock the door to our very nice room at the Aria (WTF?) and Dustin danced in front of the Bellagio fountain:

las vegas tbt 4 
The last time I went to Las Vegas was actually January of this year (!!), this trip will make the places I’ve been to on a plane in the last year: cross country road trip from FL –> WA, San Francisco and Las Vegas X2. Let’s see if I can beat that this next year! Anyway, the fourth time I went to Vegas was with Gaby to meet our friend Dan who was in Las Vegas for the Consumer Electronics Trade Show. Gaby and I crashed in Dan’s suite, gambled at Circus Circus, ate guacamole for lunch outside in January (!!), went to the sexy Cirque de Soleil (by accident), walked a million miles, ordered a lot of room service (thanks Dan!) and made a cabby take us through In-n-Out burger:

las vegas tbt 5 
I can’t wait to give you all a recap of the trip next week! Also, please tell me: have you ever been to Vegas? What do I need to do while I’m there? I’ve never been to old town. And I feel like I haven’t even skimmed the surface of amazing restaurants. Suggest away, please!

Anyway, back to work for me… right after I grab some Advil for this headache, yikes!

Happy Thursday, everyone!!

4 comments:

Musings of a Creative Writer said...

I've actually never been to Las Vegas! I've never been out West, though. I always assumed it was all about casinos and I'm not a big one on gambling. But, after reading this entry: there are so many more things to do. However, I think I would rather go to San Fran or Seattle for my first trip out West. Those are two places I'd like to see. :)

I would never date a younger guy again either! I did it once and it almost happened again last year - so much drama and never again. I like older guys usually, though (though, the boyfriend after the younger boyfriend was 4 years older than me [I was 20, he 24] and he was just as immature).

Rebeka said...

Jessica, yes I would say Seattle or San Francisco would be better places for your first trip out west! I love both, a lot. If you ever decide to come to Seattle let me know and I can recommend some fun things to do/places to eat/drink/whatever!! I might have a few good SF recs too! That being said, Las Vegas is really fun and you can spent a ton of time there without ever gambling. I usually gamble a little bit while I'm there but I mostly eat and drink and walk around and lay by the pools and shop and go to shows :)

Brittany said...

Vegas is just the best. I don't even drink or gamble and I still think it's the best. I really can't get over the fact that you had a cab driver take you through the In 'n Out drive-thru. Totally worth it. I love the Elvis Cirque show - Elvis is my fantasy boyfriend. You should definitely try old town. It's kind of sketchy and the people are super weird, but it's something you should try.

Andrew-L'autre said...

I've been to Nevada but not to Las Vegas. I'd like to see the western part of the state again. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...