Wednesday, August 13, 2008

wow, really?

On the front page of the Seattle Times today (we saw it from inside of Costas while I was having breakfast with Joel and his dad) there is an article titled "How Old is "Old Enough" to Hunt?". So when I got home I got online and read it (obviously, I mean, I do love reading a newspaper but the internet is so much more efficient sometimes).

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008109739_hikershot13m0.html

What the fuck was this kid thinking? I got my first deer when I was in 8th grade (13 years old) and I was DEFINITELY old enough to realize that it was a deer and not a PERSON! I cannot believe this happened. I am also in awe of the fact that 50 8-year-olds acquired big game tags this year. I'm pretty sure we all know that those 8-year-olds are really fathers of the kids who want an extra deer (deer is delish) to feed their families with this winter. But still! I thought you had to be a certain age (like 10 or something) to even take hunters education (which is necessary if you want to purchase a hunting tag). Wow. I just cannot believe this. Dumb kids giving everyone else a bad reputation. Anyway, I'm going to go start on my personal statement now (about living on a farm and hunting... I think). Wish me luck!

OH and PS I totally had a dream about the LSAT last night. I tried doing problems in my sleep and then I woke up right after I was taking the test and the building started to collapse and I couldn't get out because I just wanted to finish so I could go to law school. What do you think that means?

1 comment:

EcoRover said...

I found your thoughts about "coming of age" as a hunter interesting. Given the cognitive faculties of kids, yeah -- 8 is way young. The tradition of c. 12 to 14 in American culture seems to work pretty well, even given the "flakiness" of young teens. No doubt that's why most states require a parent accompany them.

Ever think about writing about your early interest in hunting, and how your parents/other adults helped guide you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...