Tuesday, December 31, 2013
in which we burned things in a livingroom
Last night I went over to Natalie and Brittan's with an envelope containing an almost illegible letter sealed inside. The letter contained all of the negativity I wanted to release from 2013 so I could move into 2014 unburdened and with good intentions.
Natalie and I grabbed burgers from the place across the street, Brittan poured us some drinks and we got down to business. We lit a candle on a baking sheet in their living room and proceeded to talk about all the negative things and let them go. We physically wrote down the things we wanted to release and burned the paper they were written on and in doing that cleared our minds and our hearts and it was all so good.
We agreed that 2013 was definitely a transition year for the three of us. We are still trying to navigate life after law school and get settled into adulthood, meanwhile some of our peers are married, others have or are having babies, some of our friends are single, some have really enviable careers, and others are working multiple part time jobs to fund their dreams. All of the mid-twenty-somethings I know are at such different points right now. It's really beautiful. It's also really hard not to compare yourself to others sometimes. We're all moving forward whether we like it or not and it's really ok that our lives and our relationships and our career paths don't look like everyone else's. It's nice having such wonderful friends who live so near me who are in very similar points of their lives to talk through all of our insecurities.
The other night our friend Lisa was visiting from Philly and we were having drinks and discussing our resolutions for 2014. My resolutions (minus the one where I want to wear sunscreen on my face and chest every day) are inspired by people who are at very different places in their life than me. I want to find something besides my: work, workout, make dinner, read, go to bed, hang with friends routine that fulfills me. I'm not completely sure what that extra something is, but I want to start exploring. I have a few ideas in mind and I'll let you know how they go.
In the mean time, tonight I'm not going to think too much about serious things and instead I'm going to eat pulled pork, see Super Diamond (the Neil Diamond tribute band), wear a beautiful mermaid dress, dance around with some great friends, get a smooch at midnight and drink (too much) champagne. I can't wait! I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful New Year's Eve!
xoxo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Quite a positive reflection upon 2013. :) Happy New Year, Rebeka!
I love this and I am going to copy it.
I completely agree that this time in life is so unsettled, at least that's how it feels for me. I've had a pretty hard time adjusting to life after school, mainly because I keep comparing myself to everyone else (and stopping that is one of my main resolutions this year).
You have a great outlook on life and I hope to be doing the same soon!
I love you. It pretty much goes without saying at this point.
Also, I lit up my 2013 hates as well. I thought I was going to set off the fire alarm - there was a lot of smoke! Probs negative energy.
Girl, I hear what you say. I think I need to back off on the social media because I am CONSTANTLY comparing myself to others. Everyone is thinner/happier/wearing engagement rings/has fab apartments/is more successful. I have to remember that they're only presenting what they want people to see. It's hard to turn that jealous energy into energy of self-loving, but it's important. I should resolve to do that more this year.
Another resolution? Meeting you in real life. Should we work on that? :)
Post a Comment