Tuesday, April 19, 2011

coffee shop love

Right now I'm sitting at Zoka working on my Indian Gaming Law paper & other things (so standard). It's kind of slow and the barristas seem to be having a great time. They're rocking out to the cheesy music they have playing and dancing around and giving customers high-fives. It totally reminds me of my experience working at Ground this last summer (and most summers, really) when it was slow (grooveshark BSB and Spice Girls anyone?). We would totally dance behind the bar and make each other laugh (and then I thought, wait a second, could it be? But now I know for sure) and it was wonderful and fun and so easy. Maybe I should just drop out of law school and switch back from a stressed out coffee shop customer to a barrista?

I'm not going to lie, I have these thoughts often. I miss food service. I miss working at Brian's Pourhouse a lot too. It was face paced, and I worked with wonderful people and got a free drink after my shifts and I always made good tips and I would get off just in time to meet my friends for more drinks and fun. Oh law school, why can't you be that much fun?

But I guess there are moments that make law school seem a little bit more worth it. I've been working with 3 other students to start an Indian Law Journal at Seattle University School of Law (the Seattle Journal of American Indian Law or SJAIL for short). We started the process back in August and have been meeting weekly and working non-stop ever since. We've worked so hard on this idea and today we had a meeting with the dean of the law school to talk to him about the idea. We all dressed up and went in a conference room and we were all soo nervous. But I think it went really well and Dean Holland seemed to be on board with the idea. It was just such a cool experience to see all of our hard work finally staring to pay off. Hopefully during my last year at the law school we can see the journal really take off - especially as we publish our first issue in the fall. And maybe we will even gain accreditation next year (but I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't happen until after the current editorial board graduates).

Anyway, I'm going to go back to working on my paper and day dreaming about food service jobs. So it's bye for now, lovelies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someday when you are a rich lawyer i.e. Elle Woods status, you can OWN you own coffeeshop. Until then be a hard little worker bee. You are the best, most beautiful law student EVER.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...