Saturday, September 17, 2011

Busiest

I thought 3Ls didn’t do homework and didn’t learn anything? So false in my case. I’ve been SO busy and have been learning so much new stuff. Stuff I suppose in this case means real life lawyer skills.

I told you all the other day that I went to court for the first time ever last week. True story.

I am a Rule 9 intern for the the Youth Advocacy Clinic via the Ronald A. Peterson law clinic at SU Law. It has been taking up my whole life. But, that’s not the point of the story. The point of the story is that I went to court.

I did a first appearance hearing for a youth who was being held in juvenile detention. I just deferred to the court on the issue of probable cause, but I fought for his release and ultimately won a full release for him (even though the judge released him with a no contact order (between him and the complaining witness, AKA his girlfriend – they were both pretty upset about it, but it was only for 3 days, so I’m sure they got over it)).

So, I got a real life client, I was assigned to him at about 8:30am, went to court (where I argued in front of a real life judge) around 3pm, and it was one of the most stressful, extreme learning experiences of my life. And also it was rad.

And then I took a tequila shot with the other guy who also had a client that day. And then we went to class. Then I was exhausted.

I get a full case assignment next week. Talk about exhausted from stress. I can’t wait…

And I felt like a grown up. Kind of.

But then last night I came home to Hood River and things like this happened (Yosh wearing and licking my unicorn necklace) and I realized that maybe I’m not such a grownup after all:

I love it here.

1 comment:

Legally Lovely said...

I am seriously SO IMPRESSED that you argued in front of a judge!!! I can't even imagine how scary that would be - I was sweating bullets during Oral Arguments, and that was just in front of a law student!! I am SO PROUD of you, Rebeka!!! You definitely deserved that tequila shot! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...